10 Years of “Operation Vetrepreneur”: 2016 Winner James Selleh
To celebrate the 10th anniversary of the “Operation Vetrepreneur: Become Your Own General” business plan contest, Dream Vacations is highlighting one winner from each of the past 10 years.
In 2016 Air Force Veteran James Selleh left corporate America to pursue a new career in a fun industry that also provided flexibility to travel the world. He got the chance of a lifetime when he entered the 5th annual Operation Vetrepreneur: Become Your Own General contest. Here’s a brief Q&A with James.
1. Why did you enter the Operation Vetrepreneur: Become Your Own General contest?
I loved traveling and helping others plan trips. Given that I had spent more than 30 years working for Fortune 50 companies, it was time for me to do something fun.
2. What do you like best about owning a Dream Vacations travel agency franchise?
I love the independence and the ability to learn more about the travel industry.
3. What is the best part about the support you get from Dream Vacations?
Support Services rocks! I think the first year of owning my franchise, I used them all the time. Now that I have a few years under my wings, I still use them to help me with more complex issues.
4. How do your military skills translate into franchise ownership?
Knowing how to work with others and listening to what someone wants to do.
5. What’s your dream vacation?
That’s a hard one. We have been to Tahiti and some other great places in the past four years since joining Dream Vacations. I think we need to go to Australia for about a month and that would be the trip of a lifetime.